Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Mise en place - Why bother?

I attended culinary school for 6 months right after high school and learned the importance Mise en place. Below id the posting from Wikipedia explaining this concept. Mise en place - (pronounced meez en plas) is a French phrase which means "putting in place", as in set up. It is used in professional kitchens to refer to organizing and arranging the ingredients (e.g., cuts of meat, relishes, sauces, par-cooked items, spices, freshly chopped vegetables, and other components) that a cook will require for the menu items that he or she expects to prepare during his/her shift.[1] The practice is also effective in home kitchens. Recipes are reviewed to check for necessary ingredients and equipment. Ingredients are measured out, washed, chopped, and placed in individual bowls. Equipment, such as spatulas and blenders, are prepared for use, and ovens are preheated. Preparing the mise en place ahead of time allows the chef to cook without having to stop and assemble items, which is desirable in recipes with time constraints. While this concept is difficult to implement in my current apartment where my kitchen is only about 100 sq feet, it is critical when eating a real food diet to be prepared. You will need to prepare a weekly menu and shop for all the fresh ingredients each week. On Sunday, I will plan out my menu for next week and then create a shopping list of the items I will need. Once this is complete, I will update the blog with some of the recipes I plan to make next week. Till then...

2 comments:

  1. While reading this I was thinking about how some people's kitchens have things that are clearly not in the correct place. Like at my best friends house I bugs me because I always open the wrong drawer looking for silverware, or open the wrong cupboard for a glass. I mentioned to her before and her reply is she is left handed. I suppose that is a valid possibility but her stuff is still not in the "correct" place if you ask me. Is this part of mise en place or did I just go off topic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is related. This topic is basically about having all ingredients and cooking utensils ready and timing all preparation so all dishes for your meal are ready at the same time to serve. Measuring out all the ingredients prior to starting to cook helps with this timing

    ReplyDelete